Step 20. Complete the Design-focused Workbook for the Project
"Lessons learned from previous projects can be invaluable aids to creating successful future developments, and a comprehensive project book focused on design should be an important component of any "lessons learned" library. Refer to and use the book often on future projects. It will help guide decision-making and go a long way toward ensuring design quality. It will also enhance the reputation and credibility of your organization as one dedicated to design quality and to building the capacity to achieve it in all projects." |
Local Initiatives Support Corporation,
New York, New York
Print Step 20
Why is this step important?
Successfully completing an affordable housing development project is a major accomplishment. If all has gone well, you have created a high quality asset for your community - one that pleases its residents, enhances its neighborhood, and is built to last for decades to come.
If you have been using the Design Advisor to help in the process, you have also created an important document - the Project Book - that will be a valuable asset to your organization both now and in the future.
Formally completing the Project Book and systematically reviewing its contents will provide valuable insights into what worked - and what didn't - over the course of your development. These insights can help your organization continue to achieve the highest levels of design quality on future affordable housing development projects.
When should this step be done?
Once the development is occupied and in full operation.
Who should do this step?
What should be done?
- Ensure that all completed forms, checklists and other documentation have been inserted in the Project Book.
- Review, preferably in a group setting, the entire Project Book from start to finish and discuss key findings - goals achieved, obstacles encountered, compromises made, final results.
- Make a short list of the findings and key points raised during the discussion and add them to the Project Book.
- Use the Project Book to help guide future development efforts by your organization.
How can doing this help move my next project forward?
- A detailed, well organized workbook documenting design decisions in a completed project will help clarify design decision-making in any future development efforts.
- It will also add credibility to your organization - with funding agencies, regulatory bodies, and your peers - as one that is seriously and systematically pursuing design excellence.