1. Start a Design-focused Workbook for the Project.
2. Review Design Advisor resources: the Design Considerations Checklist, the Gallery of Successful Projects and the Tools section.
3. Understand where design fits in the development timeline.
4. Obtain professional design assistance at the very beginning.
5. Analyze target occupants and establish resident-related design goals for the project.
6. Analyze the surrounding neighborhood and establish community-related design goals for the project.
7. Analyze the potential site to make sure they can physically accommodate the proposed project and provide easy access to the amenities and services its residents will need.
8. Begin cost analyses.
9. Assemble the right project design team.
10. Develop a minimum of 3 alternative site plan concepts for the project.
11. Use the Design Considerations Checklist to guide the design process.
12. Use the Operation & Maintenance Considerations Checklist to reality check the design process.